...politics, pop culture, and self-deprecation...

3.03.2004

It's not a big surprise that Kerry is now assured of the Democratic nomination. I think that's been clear from the first caucuses and primaries, and personally, I think he's an excellent choice. Of course, the reasons I think he's an excellent choice are not necessarily reasons that ensure he'll beat Georgie in November. But I wish they were.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard about Kerry is that he's "wishy-washy." One of Bush's greatest "strengths," of course, is his "integrity," his tough and unchanging stances on just about everything. Bush knows he's right from the start, and won't change his mind for anything. The saddest thing is that that kind of integrity is the last kind a national leader needs.

I like Kerry because he's intelligent and rational. He is willing to look at all sides of an issue, and willing to admit when he's wrong. The Bush team holds up Kerry's founding of Vietnam Veterans Against the War as a character flaw, showing that his service in the war was ultimately meaningless. They miss the point entirely. I think it's admirable that after seeing the pointless destruction in Vietnam, he had the courage to come back and oppose it. If anyone had the right to protest that war, it was those men sent to fight it.

Those who say Kerry is wishy-washy are not acknowledging that legislation and politics require debate, negotiation, and compromise. Our current President doesn't get it, and I think that is his biggest flaw. We need a leader who is willing to be diplomatic, willing to recognize that sometimes the other side is right, and I think Kerry is that person. Whether that means he can beat Bush is debatable. Apparently, Americans don't want an intelligent president.

In other news, I am still being a lazy bum.

Some good books I've read lately: Against Love: A Polemic by Laura Kipnis (everyone should read this immediately; look for a more lengthy review soon), Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man by Susan Faludi (again), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon (very unique and quite excellent), Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken (I heart Al Franken. I heart this book).

I will be attempting to tackle Jameson's Postmodernism: The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. I might become a communist threat to the nation, so please, beware.

No comments: