...politics, pop culture, and self-deprecation...

1.17.2006

While I'm not about to argue that Alito is my first choice for the Supreme Court, or that I'm in any way satisfied with his selection, I am a little bit frustrated by the knee-jerk liberal reaction against him. I don't think they're really wrong about him, but the point is that I don't know, and neither do they. It's just another wedge in the increasingly hostile and sometimes blind divide between the politically rabid right and left.

No matter who Bush nominated, it was guaranteed that MoveOn.org was going to freak out and demand daily that we block the nomination. What does this accomplish? How can it help to start your attack on a nominee before he's even spoken a word? All is does is make the liberal side look reactionary and dogmatic.

I don't know if Alito was sincere during his hearing. I have no way of knowing that. But because of they way our system works, I have to believe that he meant every word he spoke, and that, as an intelligent man, he IS capable of putting aside his personal feelings and making judgments based on fact. If we don't believe that Alito can do it, how can we believe that anyone can do it? And if it's not possible, what does that say about our judicial system?

I'm just so exhausted by ignorant politics, no matter what side the ignorance is coming from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your reasoning about politics and politicians. There is indeed too much knee jerk reacting, along the lines of ideology, to many issues. There is not enough "fair and balanced" debate and discussion about issues, based on the merits of the issues. This refers to both parties, as far as I am concerned. I think I am "independent" in terms of political preference, though I am probably "liberal" in terms of my concern for the poor and those without medical insurance and the "perks" that the upper levels of our society seem to take to themselves. Sometimes I think "free enterprise" means "how much can I gouge out of the public for my own gain?" If that's a little jaded or cynical, so be it.