...politics, pop culture, and self-deprecation...

9.10.2004

" 'When it comes to Iraq, my opponent has more different positions than all his colleagues in the Senate combined,' Mr. Bush said. 'If he had his way, Saddam Hussein would still be in power and would still be a threat to the security and to the world.' " (Reported in NYTimes.org)

This kind of rhetoric makes me so mad. What does this even mean? What's even more frustrating is that this hyperbolic, ridiculous talk increases Bushie's lead over Kerry. He's not saying anything. He can't back up what he's talking about. It's big, ugly, empty talk, and it's going to help him win.

I hate politics.

Everytime I read that Bush's lead is growing, I feel sick to my stomach. And I feel even more sick when I read things like this:

"Pollsters suggested that the change was a result of a month of attacks on Mr. Kerry's war record by a group of Vietnam veterans, combined with the Republican convention, which featured searing attacks on Mr. Kerry and staging designed to portray Mr. Bush as strong and forward-looking." (Also from NYTimes.org)

Essentially, Bush's numbers are rising based on attacks that were proved unfounded, and on what is pointedly and unabashedly called convention "staging."

I think I'm going to throw up. And start making plans to emigrate.

No comments: