...politics, pop culture, and self-deprecation...

5.06.2003

So, the company I interviewed with didn't hire me. And the temp place kicked my arse the curb. Apparently my distaste for the job was more apparent than I thought. So I have joined the ranks of the unemployed. I actually just found out that said company didn't hire me, so I'm still in the early stages of disappointment and I'm feeling more than a little deflated.

Good thing we have Spinal Tap to watch tonight.

I moved all the way across the country because I wanted to work in one specific industry. I want to be an editor, it's the only thing I really want to do in the world. I know I'm qualified, and I know I'd be damn good at it. I don't want to waste the hours of my day being an Administrative Assistant for some company I don't care about, or serving eggs to a bunch of snarky people who probably look down on me because they have great jobs and they assume I'm uneducated. I want to be an editor, and I wouldn't even mind starting out in the freakin mail room, or serving the boss coffee, as long as I was doing it in a publishing house. I'm not in college anymore and I don't want to the kinds of jobs I had when I was in college. And I'm pissed that I live in a time when people have to spend their whole lives working the kinds of jobs they had in college because there is nothing else out there.

Oy, I'm just venting because I'm frustrated. I'm trying to be optimistic, and even to look on the bright side of working in a restaurant or coffee shop- at least I'd be able to meet people, and possibly have some kind of social life again.

I'm not always this grumpy. I just want a job.

No comments: