...politics, pop culture, and self-deprecation...

1.12.2007

Federal Way schools restrict Gore film

Yet another morning when I find myself gaping at my computer screen at something I've just read. This article on seattlepi.com showcases two parents who are about as dumb as they can possibly be. Their complaint over showing Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" revolves around two things: Al Gore doesn't present creationism, and the fact that "everything will burn up" in the "end times", anyway, and the film takes a "bad America, bad America" approach.

Ugnnnh. Snnnaerf. Gaaaah. I can't even respond to this kind of stupidity. I hate people. Hate them. What's even more disgusting? The Federal Way School district has actually acquiesced, and placed a moratorium on showing the film. They propose that teachers who want to show it should also showcase the opposing view, i.e. the Not Freaking Science view.

Federal Way schools restrict Gore film

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing there are *only* 36 schools in their district!

Elizabeth Gross said...

Are we as a nation getting dumber? I work with people who would agree with these people... And they're teachers! Itmakes me sad, and it's scary, too, to think that people are only going to believe what they want, and then censure or otherwise muzzle everyone else. I don't get why this isn't a free speech issue.

Anonymous said...

Let's not fight wrong with wronger, though. Hating people and religions based on a single example is just as shortsighted. I'm sure someone who reads the Manual of Style understands this. People who don't agree with you aren't an excuse to "hate."